Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bali

Here's a brief update so far. Up at 3am Saturday morning for early flight to Bali. Arrived lunch time. Tired, so tired. Got ripped off by taxi driver which left a bitter taste after me and a random I'd met on the plane had helped him.
Then confusion:
Taxi driver: You have trip.
Me: No but I'm thinking of going to the volcanoe.
Taxi: Trip?
Me: Yes, you know to the famous valcanoe and the lake next to it.
Taxi: Trip for me?
Me: Well sure if you do trip's then you could take me, how much do you charge?
Taxi: Trip for me for helping you find hotel.
Me: ??
Me: Oh a tip. (Having already been RIPPED off to get from airport.
Me: How much.
Taxi: 10000
Me: Hmmmm (DOH) ok. (he knows I've just given him all my small money)
I give him 100,000. He gives me 80,000 change.
Me: GRRRRWWWWWWW
Taxi: Smug smile. Struts off.
Me: Struggle with temptation of rude name calling.

Not a great start. Got a room. It's hot in Bali by the way. Very hot. Turned on the fan fell into a sweaty 1 hour sleep. Go out wandering. Starving. Find a place with a big tv showing a movie. Pop in and have a delicious Balinese late lunch of panini and fries. umm hmm. Watch the movie. Get hassled from the 1 million t-shirt/hat/bracelet/bike helmet/massage shops that line the streets. Maybe I should tell them grabbing my arm and pulling me towards their shop is unlikely to secure a sale. still: there just doing their job I suppose. I Keep wandering through the maze of alleys that is Kuta. I want to go back to my room as I'm still feeling tired. I can't find my room. 1.5 hours later (of hassle and annoyance) I get back. Down a 2 litre bottle of water and fall, again into a sweaty sleep. Wake up at 8. go out and eat a delicious Balinese dinner of some spicy beef dish. Head home exhausted and drink a beet on my balcony wondering if this was a good idea.
Anyway, that was yesterday and todays been better. woke up 7 at the beach at 8. wandered. found a nice place selling drinks and sat there this morning drinking orange juice and chatting to some bali boys. as small shops are annoying on the roads, hawkers are equally so on the beach. I counted 12 different types of product I've been offered this morning. let see if I can remember them all.
Massage
Bracelet
Trip
Tattoo
wooden elephant/magic cigarette dispenser
necklace
pedicure (you don't want to be touching those love: I'm ticklish, I'll Kick you in the face)
T-shirts RESULT sold 3 t-shirts
wallets Good quality. (Oh no they weren't)
Watches
Surf lessons
lucky necklaces
wooden dragon

Thats all I can remember but I'm sure you'll agree thats more than enough. Anyway, the tattoo guy turned out to be nice, so sat around drinking orange juice with him.

So actually despite the above woke up today feeling far more positive after not feeling very optimistic at all yesterday. That all said, I'm at the real surfy beach here in Kuta. Unfortunately I can't and don't want to learn so that mixed with the hassle (and that I'm just not cool enough for this town) means tmrw I'll move to the northern beach of lovina. I'm hoping it is lovely-na. Kuta is growing on me, so maybe I can come back sometime and do the surfing thing/buy some wallets/watches/lucky charms etc etc.

So here I am in the internet shop letting you know if you're interested. Anyway. the belly is rumbling so will now go and eat something. I think I'm after western food again you'll be sad to learn. Got to keep my spirits up!! plenty of places left to visit!
C.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home